Infertility in Malaysia – Making Babies A Reality
Infertility in Malaysia is on the rise. Many couples are going through different infertility problems and seeking treatments to get pregnant. With the technological advancement in today’s world, many cases of infertility can be treated, making babies a reality for infertile couples.
There Is A Way
Infertility is when a couple cannot get pregnant due to problems in their reproductive system. You may be considered infertile if you find it difficult to get pregnant after 12 months of unprotected sexual intercourse. It can be caused by female issues, male issues or even due to problems in both of the couple. I believe that infertility is treatable. I have helped many couples to conceive, including women in the advanced age group and men with severe infertility issues who had given up almost all hope of having a child of their own. Many options today are available to treat infertility in Malaysia. No matter what the issues are and whether it is male or female infertility, there is a way to have your baby. The severity of the cases depends on the patients. Some issues might be easily treated. Some may need to go through complicated procedures. Nevertheless, they can still be treated, and you can still get pregnant.
What Causes Infertility?
Infertility may be caused by various different reasons. Understanding the cause of infertility is important especially when you are planning to get pregnant. You are usually advised to meet a fertility doctor if you have been trying to get pregnant for one year and have not yet conceive. Fertility specialist can help you to find out the cause of your fertility problems and plan suitable treatments for you.
Some common reasons for infertility in women include:
– Ovulation disorder – This disorder affects the release of eggs from the ovaries. You may have irregular periods or experience mood changes and weight gain or weight loss due to the ovulation disorder. It can also result in hypothalamic dysfunction, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), premature ovaries failure, and many more.
– Uterine or cervical abnormalities – A condition where your uterus and cervix are abnormally shaped. Such conditions may lead to problems like Uterine Fibroid, which may block your fallopian tube. This may potentially lead to infertility problems.
– Fallopian Tube block – This is a common condition that affects infertility. The blocked tube can prevent the sperm and egg from fertilizing. This causes problems to get pregnant. The tubes are usually blocked by scarred tissues or pelvic adhesion. It can also occur due to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, Endometriosis, Fibroids and other conditions.
– Endometriosis – Endometriosis happens when the endometrium tissues grow outside of the uterus. It may affect the functions of the ovaries, uterus and fallopian tubes.
Some common reasons for infertility in men include:
– Low sperm count – Low sperm count means the fluid that is ejaculated by the man contains fewer sperm than usual. It can be due to genetic problems, defect in testicles, and health problems like diabetes.
– Problems with sperm delivery – This condition can happen because of sexual problems, genetic diseases and injuries in the reproductive system.
– Overexposure to environmental factors – Infertility can happen due to overexposure to chemicals, pesticides, and radiation. Smoking, taking drugs, and consuming excessive alcohol can also lead to infertility.
Can couples battling with infertility conceive naturally?
Some couples with infertility issues can conceive naturally without attempting the assisted reproductive methods such as IVF. If we can help a couple conceive naturally, then why not? Sometimes what they need is a little help like Ovulation Induction, which encourages eggs to mature and ovulate or they could just need fertility-sparing surgery to fix a problem that is impeding pregnancy. If there are no immediate indications of severe infertility issues, I will usually suggest the couples to first use conservative approach like timed intercourse or try ovulation induction that helps couples to conceive naturally.
Timed Intercourse is one of the simple and cost-effective approach to get pregnant. I usually recommend this method for patients who have no problems with their uterus and fallopian tube. This method is also suggested to those whose male partner has no issues with their sperms. Timed intercourse refers to having intercourse at the right time which is during the ovulation time. Thus, it’s important to determine the ovulation window of the female partner. Women usually ovulate about 12 to 14 days before new menstrual cycle starts. The fertile window is about seven days in total beginning with 5 days before ovulation, the ovulation day and a day after the ovulation. This will be the best time for sexual intercourse and to try to get pregnant.
Ovulation induction is the process of using hormonal therapy or medications to stimulate egg development and release, or ovulation. Ovulation induction helps to increase a woman’s chance of conceiving a child naturally through sexual intercourse or other fertility treatments.
Fertility Care: Natural Treatments (Infertility in Malaysia)
If my patients have other preferences like natural treatments, I will embrace them. Natural treatments, such as acupuncture or Chinese herbal medicines, may help them to get pregnant. Finding solutions for infertility in Malaysia in relation to natural treatment can be easy as there are many licensed acupunctures practitioners to do acupuncture. Thus, it is advised to talk to the fertility doctor to plan your fertility care and fertility journey effectively.
Safety and Comfort
Throughout my practice, I focus on the safety and comfort of my patients. I don’t encourage risky procedures such as implanting more than two embryos at a time. It is more important to me that the mother has a safe and comfortable pregnancy and that her baby is healthy. Any other outcome is heartbreaking.
How to Cope during IVF Journey?
Battling infertility issues can be stressful. The process of assisted reproduction itself can lead to psychological distress. It can cause you to have stress, anxiety and depression. The situation gets even worse when you are experiencing failed IVF cycles. It can cause inner turmoil, frustration, hopelessness, guilt, worthlessness and low self-esteem. A failed IVF cycle tends to affect women more than men. Sometimes, the external environment, like family and friends, could affect your mental stability during the IV journey. I believe it would be best if you took care of your mental health at times like this. Here are some suggestions to keep your emotions and mind stable through IVF treatment.
– Seek Professional Support – Don’t be afraid to seek counsellors. They can guide your emotions and provide support while you undergo IVF treatments. They can help to understand and recommend the best treatment while catering to your needs.
– Take a Break – Taking a break from infertility can help to regulate your emotions. It gives you time to self-reflect and the space to learn coping strategies. If you are worried that you might not have enough time to take a break due to age, consult your doctor. You may get a solution.
– Have a Hobby – Try engaging in activities that can keep you calm and happy. You can exercise, read books, or spend time with your loved ones. Engage in activities with your spouse and avoid talking topics related to fertility. Do things that you like and make yourself happy.
– Read IVF Success Stories – Reading stories of successful IVF can help you in certain ways. It can help you to relate to the struggle you go through. Moreover, you may also learn how the patients were able to take care of themselves on this journey. You may be able to learn a few tips from them. These stories can give you a sense of comfort that you are not alone in this journey.
– Support from Family and Friends – Sometimes, your spouse is the best place to find support. They understand what you go through while comforting each other in the process. However, that is not always the case. You can also seek help from your family and friends for encouragement and reminders. It may not work for everyone as some family members and friends could affect your emotions negatively. Thus, be aware of whom you share your concerns.
– Support Groups – Support groups may be helpful for you. It will give you the space to talk about your feelings and thoughts. It may even help you to get advice from other couples who have gone through similar situations. You can seek support groups on social media like Facebook, forums, and more.
I understand how challenging the journey to becoming a parent can be. Thus, I make myself available to my patients at any time, including weekends. I make sure to support my patients and provide the best care possible. I’m more than happy to be there for these couples.
Infertility in Malaysia can certainly be treated, so do not give up. For me, nothing is more rewarding than seeing a couple unable to conceive and have the child they have always dreamed of.
Watch this video to find out more about how to get pregnant if you have blocked fallopian tubes: Getting Pregnant With Blocked Fallopian Tubes
You are sure to have many questions. In addressing infertility, the sooner you have them answered, the better. Do list them down and call 03-80699333 (TMC Fertility & Women’s Specialist Centre, Puchong) or +6-03-62871000 (Thomson Hospital, Kota Damansara) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment to consult with Dr Navdeep.